Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Why do we do that????

This morning I was getting ready for work and chatting with my niece who had spent the night. Her sister called her name from the living room to ask her a question. Her response was a nasty, snotty "WHAT?!". I immediately felt the anger rise in my chest. She will often speak to her sister with vile in her voice for no apparent reason. So instead of lovingly explaining how important it is to speak kindly to others, especially those we love, I snapped back "DON'T TALK TO HER LIKE THAT". Using pretty much the same tone she had. How could I expect her to learn anything from that?

It got my mind going.

Last week I was at the grocery store and the lady in line in front me had two small kids in her cart. The little boy was tormenting his littler sister when the mother smacked the boy upside his head and loudly stated "Don't hit your sister". How can you tell your child not to hit when you are hitting them? The worst part? I have been guilty of this!

I'm also guilty of walking into a room where kids are fighting and yelling at the top of my lungs to "STOP! YELLING!".

I also got to thinking about the language I use or music I listen to when I know I'm going to have kids in my car. I'm very good at editing myself and making sure I have good music that I think their parents would approve of. Why do I take these extra steps when they are around? I don't want them to listen to lyrics that are bad or language that is bad. I want better for them. But why don't I want better for myself?

Its something I'm working on and just wanted to share with you how stupid we all are at times. Ya know, just in case you hadn't noticed.

So what is something you do that doesn't always make sense?

3 comments:

  1. GOOD POST!!!!
    I go to horrible movies- but detest the behavior and language in 'real' life. I think im going to have to work on that. Avoid bad movies. You have inspired me! Thank You

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am happy to know my kids can safely ride in a car with you :).
    I do this sometimes with my kids, tell them to stop talking so rudely and I have a horrible tone while I say it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post Erin. I totally do it too. I'll try to be better. Especially so I can be an example. It'll help when the kids go back to school.

    ReplyDelete