Saturday, April 9, 2011

Where are your shoes?

Every morning I get to hear Lora have this conversation with her kids.  It doesn't matter if it is the oldest (he's 10) or the youngest (he's 2).  They come through the door and the shoes come off and never in the same spot.  I never grew out of the habit of kicking my shoes off when I come home, although I do pretty good to keep track of them now.
My feet are not the most attractive.  Especially the little baby toe.  It likes to curl up and hide under the one next to it.  I've always hated my toes.  This has not stopped me from going barefoot or close to it for most of my life.  If I think I can get away with wearing flip flops somewhere, don't think I won't do it.  When I drive though if I'm wearing flip flops I usually take them off and slide them under the seat.   
One time that I would have loved to have tennis shoes on, I was a teenager and wrecked my parent's car.  I was driving home from my sisters on an old dirt road that is not well traveled.  I was going way too fast and started to fishtail.  I hit the embankment on the side of the road and it sent me airborne and flipping about 3-4 times.  The car came to rest on its hood.  I wasn't wearing a seat belt so I was banged up pretty nicely, but I knew if I waited for help I could be there for a while.  I crawled from the car and started to walk back to my sisters since it was closer than home.  I was pretty scared and not thinking to clearly so it didn't occur to me to look for my flip flops.  It was the middle of summer, on a gravel road and it was not kind to my feet.  Luckily, after  about 2 miles a sheriff passed by and picked me up, but not before the bottom of my feet were bruised and cut up.  
I still take my shoes off every chance I get.  However, I'm not completely nasty, there are places where I draw the line to go barefoot.  One of them, happens to be a public restroom a la Britney Spears.




Tell me about an interesting time when you happened to be barefoot.

1 comment:

  1. Erin, You are a flip flops kind of gal, I am a slipper gal. I wish I could wear my slippers where I go, but Landon tells me no shoes, no going. He is such a party pooper!!!

    ReplyDelete