Thursday, August 23, 2012

Donate to the D.I. . . .

Have you noticed the new trend on FB?  Yard Sales.  
 (I obviously did not create this card because I know the difference between sale and sail, just sayin')

Yay for you if you can sell that ab roller you desperately had to buy for swim suit season but instead used it to hang your bra's on to dry.  I'm not against people selling their unwanted items.  I am against people being wimps about it.  Here's what I see.

seller: (such and such item) $10
buyer: My husband will only let me go as high as $8??
seller: Sorry my husband says I have to sell for $10 since I spent $483 on it.

What. The. Hell. People!
First of all I seriously saw a post the other day that the lady's offer was $2 less than the sellers asking price and she wouldn't budge.  AND I know these girls, they are in my ward, neither is hurting for money but apparently someone has to win in this price debacle.

The other thing I see A LOT is the "let me consult my husband".  Girl, PLEEEZE, you're probably not even married.  I'm sure it's just easier to blame it on someone else for rejecting the sale.  If you actually are having to ask your husband's permission you have a whole other basket of issues and should not be wasting your time buying crap on FB.  Your next purchase should be a spine.

 

I also see A LOT of draaama!  Surprise, surprise!  What did you think was going to happen when you get 200+ women together to barter over crap?  What started as a way for a creative individual to make some cash on the things in their home that was no longer needed, and provide a way for others to do the same, has turned into WWE Housewife Smackdown. 

 

Personally I think it's just another way for us to buy more junk we don't need/ won't use.  I also see a lot of baby items which I'm sure could be donated to someone who really NEEDS but can't afford them.  A few years ago my sister's ward had a lot of parents who were unemployed and struggling with everyday needed items.  At the end of summer they did a clothing swap and it turned out to really positive.

In summary, today's lesson kids is simply this: Facebook is for gossip and stalking, if you have crap to sell have a yard sale in...oh, I don't know...YOUR YARD!  

No comments:

Post a Comment