Tuesday, February 1, 2011

School is in session

Class: Manners 101

Today's lesson: the door

Last night I had a curious encounter at the gym.  As I approached the door there was a gentleman walking about 20 or so steps ahead of me.  Right behind him and in front of me was a woman on her cell phone.  He opened the door and held it as the woman walked right through with not so much as a "thanks" or nod of acknowledgement.  Even though I was quite a ways back he stayed there and held the door for me.  As I walked through I made sure to remove my headphones and say thank you.  I also remove my headphones at the front desk because the guy there always says hi and I don't want him to think I'm rude if I happen to not hear and not return the hello.  But, headphones are a whole other lesson, this lesson is about the door.

Real simple, here's how it works people.

Guys: your job is to open the door and allow the lady to walk through. I don't care if she is 5 years old or 50, 123 pounds or 321, an A cup or double F. Get. The. Door. Do not try to hold the door awkwardly open as you stand in the door way. It makes for tight quarters and quite frankly makes me uncomfortable.

Ladies: your job is to walk through, acknowledge the gentleman holding the door for you and say "thank you". Do not under any circumstances think that because you are on an important call on your Mo-Bile that it excuses you from being polite.  Also, do not expect the door to be opened for you.  The only thing worse than a man not getting the door is a woman waiting for it to be opened for her.

Class dismissed.

1 comment:

  1. I love it! and I am glad you posted this. Lately I am a "little" bugged by "southerners" who think no one else in America has any manners. So ha ha all you "rednecks!" there are gentlemen in Utah.

    ReplyDelete